Can diclofenac topical be used on the rectum due to shingles pain?

chuck1957 11 Aug 2017

bOBBIG; NO I THINK YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR DOCTOR NOW IF YOU CAN AND TELL THE DOCTOR THEY HAVE MUCH BETTER THINGS FOR THIS AND THE RECTAL AREA IS A TOUGH PLACE AND VERY RAW ANYWAY. SO PLEASE GIVE YOUR DOCTOR A CALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. chuck1957

Windchimes123 11 Aug 2017

Hi Bobbi,
I would NOT do this.
My concerns are the affects it has on the heart. If you read about it they are very precise about how much to apply.
If you are using it on your upper extremities the side is decreased because it's closer to the heart.
I find it very effective on my knees.
The rectum is very vascular. This would allow more meds to be absorbed than on the skin.
Get a better med for that particular area.
Best wishes
:-)

Techvisions 21 Aug 2018

Well, long answer is: diclofenac 3% may be very good for shingles. Reasoning that neuralgic pain from shingles is due to inflamed nerves / nerve bundles just under the skin that exhibit as roughly corresponding rashes. My practical experience is it worked for me ( 50% pain reduction ) when 3% was applied to afflicted nerve bundles in the neck. Nothing else was working well for me, even opioids. Caution, 3% is only Rx’d for keratosis, so you’re going to have to talk your dermatologist into the Rx. Caution, must ID spot treat bundles, not lather the stuff on! It’s strong & can cause complications ( read up ). Do not apply directly to rashes... you don’t “get my drift” if u think u can. Try looking up this older article for a start, “Effect of 1.5% Topical Diclofenac on Clinical Neuropathic Pain
Shihab U. Ahmed, et. al.” My Dr. said, “interesting” and that this may be univestigated, overlooked... hope this helps someone...