I have diabetes that is why I have schizophrenia?

mistismum 31 Aug 2013

I have never heard of diabeties being the cause of schizophrenia

kaismama 31 Aug 2013

No, diabetes has nothing to do with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia can be hereditary, and its caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain.

mistismum 31 Aug 2013

But what has diabetes got to do with schizophrenia?

kaismama 1 Sep 2013

The only thing it indirectly tires them together is that some of the meds can raise the blood sugar. The two diseases have nothing to do with each other.

endlessPred 31 Aug 2013

Diabetes as an adult is called diabetes type 2. Type 1 is found in children.

Type 2 comes from a number of sources. Obesity is most common. The heavier we are the harder the body works to get rid of the sugar we eat. It can also be from medications we take. That is the kind I have.

So your medications and your weight will cause diabetes. If you tell us which medications you take, we can tell you what is happening. If you weigh too much, that is the likely cause. Schizophrenia does not cause diabetes.

ChaCha64 1 Sep 2013

Are people normally placed on pre diebtic medication if the fasting hemoglobin AC1 is 5.7? I quit smoking and gained weight.

endlessPred 4 Sep 2013

YourA1c is fine. You do not need medication. It doesn't qualify for diabetes. However, if you take a medication that puts you there it is working perfectly. 6 and under is considered normal. 8 and over is diabetes.

If you reduce one meal per day in half you will lose weight. Simply start slow and over time slowly reduce your food portions. Or start by giving up any soda or sweet tea, things like that. Stay away from artificial sweeteners as they can increase the desire for more sweets. The medications for schiz do cause weight gain as you are not as energetic. A tread mill would help or other exercise. Many options.

kaw06 31 Aug 2013

Absolutely not, diabetes does not cause schizophrenia.

mistismum 31 Aug 2013

Sorry I get it now.

Factfinder411 1 Sep 2013

People can have drug induced schizophrenia. I knew one person who tried pcp or something along that line. It took her a couple years to get over it.

mistismum 1 Sep 2013

Just over 2 years ago I weighed nearly 18 stone. I was border line diabeties I had high blood pressure I found it difficult to do exersise or walk any distance. I decided to do something about it I put the weight on becouse of medicatin I ate health gradually built up my exersire regime and now I weigh 11.2 stone. And gone from a size 26 -28 down to a size 12. Its been hard work but worth it

mistismum 1 Sep 2013