Dermatomyositis - What does a CRP of 3.6 mean and an ESR of 7 ?

endlessPred 4 Jun 2013

Here is information about one of the tests. Dermatomyositis is an inflammatory disease, as are arthritis, lupus and so forth. This is a measurement of that in your blood. Your lab has a range based on their equipment. How does this fall in that range, 3.6?

C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
Test Overview

A C-reactive protein (CRP) test is a blood test that measures the amount of a protein called C-reactive protein in your blood. C-reactive protein measures general levels of inflammation in your body.
High levels of CRP are caused by infections and many long-term diseases. But a CRP test cannot show where the inflammation is located or what is causing it. Other tests are needed to find the cause and location of the inflammation.

This is from my online medical account with my health service. Will look up the other in awhile. K

merriloo 4 Jun 2013

Thank you EndlessPred. I am not sure but some guidlines say the 3.9 is in high range. Just wondering how I should process these numbers as I get this type of blood work done often and want to know what range of numbers I should hope for regarding inflammation.M

endlessPred 5 Jun 2013

Definitely talk to the doctor about these tests. Just because you are hearing about levels, it depends on your lab levels as close as yours may be normal depending on the lab doing the testing. I had a high result on a lab test for TSH tumor factor. But the lab put it at the top of the list yet not too high. In a report online it would have been too high. So no worry. The doc knows and would let you know if it is a problem.