Is depression, weight gain and constipation ongoing issues with hypothyroidism?

BethSJ 16 Feb 2016

Hi. I can only speak for myself but what you describe have been ongoing issues, amongst others, since I was diagnosed in July '15. Some symptoms have improved especially after starting Synthroid. The endo doc told me it was better than the generic and I found that very much the case for me. Night and day honestly.
My PCP says symptoms will continue to improve w time.
Waiting...
Good luck and good health to you.
bee

WildcatVet 16 Feb 2016

Hypothyroidism was most likely a factor in my depression, along with the weight gain. Since I've been taking levothyroxine my depression has improved (along with medications since low thyroid was only a contributing factor because I'm Bipolar) and the weight has melted off.
I'd assume without a thyroid supplement those symptoms you mention WOULD be a chronic issue.
Best wishes, WCV

arabianhorselover 17 Feb 2016

They can certainly be ongoing issues with untreated hypothyroidism.

clynn44 10 Mar 2016

The symptoms you describe are certainly related to hypothyroidism. I currently take 100mg of Synthroid and the symptoms have subsided greatly. Are you sure that is the cause of those symptoms and not something else?