I'm not a depressant, but I do have chronic pain. Would Cymbalta still be appropriate?

masso 15 Feb 2016

Yes, Cymbalta is used in the treatment of chronic pain; fibromyalgia; anxiety; back pain; depression (and more), and belongs to the drug class serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.

https://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html

rscott42173 15 Feb 2016

Most dr's will prescribe the generic of duloxetine.

G mc 15 Feb 2016

Masso, don't you agree that Wellbutrin is also used in the treatment of pain?

masso 15 Feb 2016

Off-label & Investigational uses
weight loss
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
bipolar depression
+++ chronic fatigue syndrome
pathological gambling (PG)
methamphetamine dependence
improvement in sexual functioning in women 21, 23, including hypoactive sexual desire disorder
augmentation of SSRIs and venlafaxine in partial and non-responders
antidote for SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction
dysthymic disorder (DD)
+++ neuropathic pain
schizophrenia

Source: eMedExpert.com.

G mc 15 Feb 2016

Masso, thank you so much. I guess that it explains WHY every time I quit my wellbutrin, I get extreme pain in my joints, especially my knees and hands. So you have confirmed what I was unsure of: wellbutrin is definitely alleviating my pain while I'm taking it. It's no cure, but it sure beats the heck out of hurting every day.

masso 15 Feb 2016

I am glad I could be of help.

Lisa01 16 Feb 2016

I also started taking cymbalta for the pain from my osteoarthritis. Like you, I didn't feel like I was depressed. After taking the cymbalta for 2-3 weeks, I not only found that it was working on my pain, but noticed that I felt better emotionally too. I suppose it never really dawned on me that dealing with chronic pain that it's bound to wear you down and add to your stress levels. You're probably as conditioned as I was to just endure the pain and go on. But as the pain decreased, I became aware of how much better (physically and emotionally) I felt. I think that it would surely be worth a try.

masso 16 Feb 2016

Hello Lisa, I hope you are well in every aspect of your life.

God bless... masso.-

Lisa01 16 Feb 2016

I'm doing very well Masso, thank you for asking. I hope you and your family had a wonderful season also!