I'm not a depressant, but I do have chronic pain. Would Cymbalta still be appropriate?

masso 15 Feb 2016

Yes, Cymbalta is used in the treatment of chronic pain; fibromyalgia; anxiety; back pain; depression (and more), and belongs to the drug class serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.

https://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html

rscott42173 15 Feb 2016

Most dr's will prescribe the generic of duloxetine.

Anonymous 15 Feb 2016

Masso, don't you agree that Wellbutrin is also used in the treatment of pain?

masso 15 Feb 2016

Off-label & Investigational uses
weight loss
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
bipolar depression
+++ chronic fatigue syndrome
pathological gambling (PG)
methamphetamine dependence
improvement in sexual functioning in women 21, 23, including hypoactive sexual desire disorder
augmentation of SSRIs and venlafaxine in partial and non-responders
antidote for SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction
dysthymic disorder (DD)
+++ neuropathic pain
schizophrenia

Source: eMedExpert.com.

Anonymous 15 Feb 2016

Masso, thank you so much. I guess that it explains WHY every time I quit my wellbutrin, I get extreme pain in my joints, especially my knees and hands. So you have confirmed what I was unsure of: wellbutrin is definitely alleviating my pain while I'm taking it. It's no cure, but it sure beats the heck out of hurting every day.

masso 15 Feb 2016

I am glad I could be of help.

Lisa01 16 Feb 2016

I also started taking cymbalta for the pain from my osteoarthritis. Like you, I didn't feel like I was depressed. After taking the cymbalta for 2-3 weeks, I not only found that it was working on my pain, but noticed that I felt better emotionally too. I suppose it never really dawned on me that dealing with chronic pain that it's bound to wear you down and add to your stress levels. You're probably as conditioned as I was to just endure the pain and go on. But as the pain decreased, I became aware of how much better (physically and emotionally) I felt. I think that it would surely be worth a try.

masso 16 Feb 2016

Hello Lisa, I hope you are well in every aspect of your life.

God bless... masso.-

Lisa01 16 Feb 2016

I'm doing very well Masso, thank you for asking. I hope you and your family had a wonderful season also!