Who can give me a little more information on Ativan, how it has worked for them and anxiety?

Anonymous 5 Apr 2012

Hello blaze22. Ativan (Lorazepam) is a fast, quick acting drug from the benzodiazepine family. It works much the same as a Xanax (Alprazolam) It when taken, will leave your body within less than a 24 hour period of time. Because of its fast or short acting ability, more often than not, a person will have the tendency to take another if given the need to. Its a johnny on the spot fast relief or fix for panic attacks, high stress moments as well as for GAD(generalized anxiety disorder) There are withdrawls which can be severe especially if not on a taper when having to stop the drug abrubtly. For years I took Xanax, and only spent not a year on Ativan. The reason then was solely for insurance purposes. Downside to any benzodiazepine is the addictive nature of the drug (well deserved) Regards, pledge

blaze22 17 Apr 2012

Thank you so much that info was helpful... have an apt on the 25th of this month to have medication changed... may be going back on. Zoloft...

ozzy2991 6 Apr 2012

hey I've been on ativan for a few months now. I have also been on xanax and klonopin as well. They are all from the same class of drugs being benzodiazepines. They are used to treat but not cure anxiety. They are taken as needed usually or if your anxiety is that bad, you will be directed to take it a few times a day. It is not a drug that i used for long term purposes. Most likely you'll be prescribed and basic ssri to treat your anxiety if you haven't been already I.e. zoloft,lexipro or such. It is a pretty safe drug aside from the chance of addiction as the person before me stated. But if you need it, it will be very very helpful. I hope this helps and any question you have ill be happy to answer