I have been on on birth control for about six months now and last night me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex and he ejaculated inside of me, should I take the day after pill just to be sure?
No no no. The morning after pill has a 20% failure rate, the birth control pill has a 1% failure rate. What would the point be of taking something inferior? You didn't have unprotected sex, you are protected, by the pill. The morning after pill would add a large amount of unnecessary hormones to your body, give you side effects, and probably screw up your cycle for a few months. The only reason you need a condom when on the pill is if you forget a few in a row, or are on antibiotics. And for protection from STDs of course.
I dont think you realize how birth control pills work. Birth control pills, when taken daily and consistently prevent you from ovulating. If there is no egg released, you CANNOT get pregnant no matter how many sperm are present. The reason they harp on about condoms in family planning clinics is not for protection against pregnancy (what would be the point of taking a pill if you HAD to use a condom anyway?) but for protecting you against STD's when you have multiple partners or you are not in a committed relationship where either partner may have other sex partners. It is for STD's, and for back up protection in the event of missed pills, because if you miss a pill or especially more than one pill, you have a chance of ovulating due to the missed hormones in those missed pills. Certain antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of pills, so for safety sake, one should use back up condoms when on any antibiotics just in case the antibiotic would decrease the effectiveness enough that you would happen to ovulate. If you were taking your pills consistently and daily for six months then you WERE protected even though a condom wasnt used. Most married people and people in monogamous relationships do not use condoms with the Pill, unless it is for back up protection, because you only have a 1-2% chance for pregnancy on the Pill. Plan b seems to have this reputation as some Wonder Pill that prevents all pregnancy when in fact it only offers you maybe 5-10% increase in protection over using nothing at all. A woman using no birth control whatsoever has about a 25%-30% chance for pregnancy at any time. Taking Plan b brings it up to about a 20% chance as Plan b is about 80% effective when used after unprotected intercourse and when you are trying to avoid unplanned pregnancy even another 5 or 10% is good but Plan b isnt nearly as effective as the Pill which only has a failure rate of only1-2% and if you are taking your pills regularly and consistently there is no reason whatsoever to use Plan B!!!
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Plan B - I had unprotected sex the first day I started my birth control after going off it for 1mth?
Posted 20 Jan 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 21 Mar 2015 • 1 answer
Posted 23 Mar 2015 • 1 answer
Posted 30 Jan 2016 • 0 answers
Posted 8 Aug 2016 • 1 answer