My daughter has a skin rash after 2 week of taking Prozac. Is this a reaction? How long will last?

WildcatVet 20 Nov 2017

Hi, AAYY! Rashes and dermatitis are fairly common side effects that generally only last a few days to a week or two. It should be reported to your daughter's doctor because it could be a sign of an extremely rare but serious disorder (Stevens Johnson syndrome).

"Dermatologic:
Common (1% to 10%): Pruritus, rash, sweating/hyperhidrosis, urticaria
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Acne, alopecia, cold sweat, contact dermatitis, ecchymosis, eczema, increased tendency to bruise, maculopapular rash, skin discoloration, skin ulcer
Rare (less than 0.1%): Epidermal necrolysis/toxic epidermal necrolysis, erythema multiforme, furunculosis, hirsutism, petechia, photosensitivity reaction, psoriasis, purpura, purpuric rash, seborrhea, Stevens Johnson syndrome/Lyell syndrome
Frequency not reported: Erythema, exfoliative rash, heat rash, erythematous rash, follicular rash, generalized rash, macular rash, morbilliform rash, papular rash, pruritic rash, vesicular rash, umbilical erythema rash
Postmarketing reports: Erythema nodosum, exfoliative dermatitis, thrombocytopenic purpura[Ref]
Best regards, Wildcat

AAYY 20 Nov 2017

Thanks. I have called the doctor and I'm awaiting for him to call me back. Thanks.

chuck1957 20 Nov 2017

AAYY; With most medication that is one thing if it happens you really should call the doctor right away. There are several things it could be. But most people this is not a normal side effect of the ones you get when you just start it. Please go with WildCats information and get the call to her doctor. have a good day. Chuck1957

AAYY 20 Nov 2017

Thanks. I called the Psychiatrist that prescribed the med to my daughter, and he said should not the case of the med, however he said to contact the Family doctor. I spoke with my daughter and it seems that she didn't have an itching so far today. Yesterday I ran to walking clinic and they said to use over the counter pills for allergy. This was good yesterday and last night, but she have not took it today. I just hope that the itching goes away, if it comes back I will call the fam doctor to make an appointment right away. I also praying that Prozac will help my daughter soon with her issues, my heart breaks I don't know what to do anymore :(. Thanks