Hi all

I am 30 years old have been taking Cymbalta 60mg for about two years for depression and anxiety. During this time I have gained over 20kg (44lb) and cannot do anything without sweating profusely. It's really starting to get to me as excess weight and being drenched in sweat all the time doesn't do much for my self esteem. I also get the worst hangovers of all time. I have come to the point where I'm ready to stop taking it and all antidepressants completely.

I had a chat to my doctor about it and he wanted me to see my psychologist before he would help me begin that process which would involve more money and time. I had a long think and after reading many forums online about the intense withdrawals users have experienced, Cymbalta discontinuation syndrome and the best way that other users have tapered off the drug I decided to start the process myself. Cymbalta only comes in doses of 120mg, 60mg, 30mg and 20mg. I didn't want to have such large reductions in a dose while tapering.

First of all I made my husband aware of what I was doing so that if he noticed anything to worry about I'd head straight to the doctor. I then counted how many pellets there are in each tablet (60mg dose). I'm from Australia and buy the chemists generic brand. Each dose contained 570 pellets. I used tweezers and a black tea towel and put the pellets in groups of 10. I actually didn't mind this process because I knew it was the next step in getting off this freaking drug.

After considering other users' experiences with removing pellets to taper I decided to lower the dose 50 pellets at a time one week at a time. All going well this will work out to be approximately 12 weeks (3 months). I've been quite lucky with little side effects when changing from one antidepressant to another and changing doses so I'm really hoping this taper will be slow enough to have little withdrawal symptoms. If not it will be easy enough for me to slow down the tapering to what I can handle.

I have been on antidepressants long enough and feel as though I know my body and mind well enough to do this and my husband is also aware of what my ups and downs are like.

I am on my third day of removing 50 pellets and I actually feel excited that I'm doing this.

In sharing my opinion I am not saying this is how tapering off Cymbalta should be done. I'm doing it this way as I feel as though it will work for me.

Has anyone else tapered off Cymbalta with the same or a similar method? What was the outcome? I'd love to hear it.

I will also update everyone on my experience as I'm sure there are users out there who are curious or thinking of doing the same.

Thanks a lot
Lee