What is crohn's disease, and how do you know if you have it?

Anonymous 5 Dec 2012

Hello Krista38,

Crohn's disease is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It usually affects the intestines, but may occur anywhere from the mouth to the end of the rectum (anus).

Crohn's disease Symptoms

Symptoms depend on what part of the gastrointestinal tract is affected. Symptoms range from mild to severe, and can come and go with periods of flare-ups.

The main symptoms of Crohn's disease are:

Crampy abdominal (belly area) pain
Fever
Fatigue
Loss of appetite
Pain with passing stool (tenesmus)
Persistent, watery diarrhea
Weight loss

Other symptoms may include:

MrsCJ 5 Dec 2012

Krista, for me my Crohn's started after a very stressful time. It started with severe abdominal pain, and diarrhea that just would not go away. After that I started dropping wieght. Really the only way to know fore sure if you have it is to go to a gastro dr and have testing done.

happybrandee 5 Dec 2012

My mom has Crohn's Desease. And I really don't know a whole lot about it except for what she has told me and what I have seen her go through. She has severe bouts of diarreah and constipation, she has severe stomach cramps/pains, sometimes she has blood in her stool, it sometimes makes her weak and she can't eat some of the foods that she used to love because it causes her symptoms to flare up and she ALWAYS needs to know where the bathroom is everywhere we go because she never knows when she will have a flare up!! I know that it makes her miserable and she is sometimes in horriable pain. The way that she found out that she had it was that she went to her doctor with her symptoms and he sent her to a specialist and they did a bunch of test to diagnose her. She is now on about 3 different medications to help control her symptoms and some days are good and some days are bad but she is learning to live with it.
I hope this explaination helps you some... and , good luck!! :))

MrsCJ 2 Mar 2013

For me I found out I had Crohn's after my ex-husband moved me 777 miles away from my family, put me thru H***, I went from a healthy 145 pounds to 97 pounds in a 7 month period of time. I was severely dehydrated and malnutritioned. I had a cyst on the back of my belly-button from all the toxins in my system. I ended up having my ascending part of my colon and 6 feet of my small intestine removed was doin great for 17 yrs and now due to another stressful period am back on meds. As far as the symptoms go usually it will start with diarrhea and abdominal pain and them you will see blood in stool and extreme wieght loss. I hope this helped, feel free to msg me anytime if you have more ?'s