My mother has vascular dementia and had to move to a care home, she didn't want to be there and made a bit of a fuss. The care home manager with the mental health consultant prescribed Quetiapine. This made her very docile and compliant. She then was abused at the home and shouted back, the care home manager wanted to double the dose but the consultant refused as my mother would have then needed 24 hour nursing care.

I have since found out that Quetiapine should never be prescribed for elderly people with dementia as they are at risk of strokes and death. This information is actually included on the Quetiapine information page:

"Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Quetiapine .
Tell your doctor if you:
• are an elderly person with dementia (loss of brain function). If you are, Quetiapin should not be taken because the group of medicines that Quetiapin belongs to may increase the risk of stroke, or in some cases the risk of death, in elderly people with dementia."

The care home manager and the consultant would have known this but they still prescribed it for my mother... this should never have been allowed.

"Quetiapine is not approved by the FDA for use in the treatment of behavioral disorders in elderly patients with dementia.

An increased risk of mortality, possibly due to heart failure or sudden death, has been reported with the use of atypical antipsychotic agents in the treatment of behavioral disorders in the elderly patient with dementia.

The results of a large retrospective cohort study appear to indicate that atypical antipsychotic agents (i.e., risperidone, olanzapine, clozapine, quetiapine) increase the risk of venous thromboembolism in elderly patients; however, these events seem to be rare."

My mother is now off this medication and we have moved her to a safe care home, where she is treated with kindness and dignity.

Please contact me if you've had similar experiences, with any details whatsoever concerning the wrongful prescribing of Quetiapine to elderly people