I take metamusil 3 times per day and still have dry stools which are slightly painful to pass.
100mg docusate taken 1-2 times/day is safe. Be aware that the sodium content of docusate may increase blood pressure. Also, docusate may affect the absorption of some medications.
You should be able to normalize your bowel movements without drug use.
1. Get 20-30g/day of fibre (make take 3 months to "kick in")
2. Drink lots of fluids
3. Identify drug-related causes (iron supplements, opioids... )
4. Talk to you doctor to rule out serious causes of constipation
- Docusate Information for Consumers
- Docusate Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Docusate (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 14 Jul 2012 • 3 answers
Constipation -- Chronic - My 6 year old child is suffering from chronic constipation from very long?
Posted 7 Apr 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 16 Feb 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 31 Aug 2016 • 0 answers
Posted 18 days ago • 0 answers