I take metamusil 3 times per day and still have dry stools which are slightly painful to pass.
100mg docusate taken 1-2 times/day is safe. Be aware that the sodium content of docusate may increase blood pressure. Also, docusate may affect the absorption of some medications.
You should be able to normalize your bowel movements without drug use.
1. Get 20-30g/day of fibre (make take 3 months to "kick in")
2. Drink lots of fluids
3. Identify drug-related causes (iron supplements, opioids... )
4. Talk to you doctor to rule out serious causes of constipation
- Docusate Information for Consumers
- Docusate Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Docusate (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Constipation -- Chronic - I know that my constipation is caused by my antidepressants. I have tried?
Posted 24 Sep 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 14 Jul 2012 • 3 answers
Posted 30 Dec 2012 • 2 answers
Posted 5 Oct 2013 • 2 answers
Posted 24 Sep 2015 • 1 answer