What is the most common medication used to treat IBS-D rome4?

lady2882 4 Aug 2013

Hi Becky
I have IBS-D too. As for medications to treat IBS, it really depends on the country you live in.
I have taken amitriptyline for a number of years and it has really reduced the frequency and severity of my episodes. amitriptyline and imipramine (Tofranil) are tricyclic antidepressants that are both used for IBS-D.
A doctor can also prescribe anticholinergic or antispasmodic medications to relieve painful bowel spasms. I use Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) which an abdominal-specific antispasmodic. It is taken when the spasms first start and it stops the spasms pretty quickly for me.
Diet plays a pretty big role in IBS episodes and there are trigger foods for everyone and it is important to figure out what your trigger foods are. Knowing how the foods you eat act in the intestines can help prevent episodes. Once an episode starts it is important to eat foods that calm the intestines and slow the diarrhea like the BRAT diet.
Also other medications can cause IBS episodes so that has to be watched carefully to avoid serious IBS episodes.
Stress also can affect and cause IBS episodes so it is important to find relaxation techniques that work for you to reduce your stress levels. Abdominal breathing exercises can be very helpful in preventing and reducing the spasms and pain during an episode.
Hope that helps you.
Take care