Any comments about drinking alcohol in moderation while taking gabapentin?

masso 30 Jul 2016

There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with gabapentin:

Moderate
gabapentin ↔ food
Moderate Food Interaction
Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of gabapentin such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with gabapentin. Do not use more than the recommended dose of gabapentin, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/gabapentin.html

sagnw 30 Jul 2016

Thank you for the complete answer to my question. It looks like if I take it at bedtime, I should be able to have a glass of wine with dinner.

Trish Schiesser 30 Jul 2016

NEVER, EVER, NEVER DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE ON GABAPENTIN!!!
Trish

sagnw 31 Jul 2016

Did you have an experience that led to that comment that you would b willing to share?

Trish Schiesser 31 Jul 2016

I had a champagne cocktail, actually two glasses at Thanksgiving, and I felt really dizzy. Besides it makes Gabapentin
change how it works in your body . . . Gabapentin is normally used for seizures (and some other things) and it is possible
to go to your brain and make changes - liver and kidneys have to be watched - and if ypu are diabetic DO NOT DRINK
ALCOHOL . . . it can really send your blood sugar for a loop. I recently heard that the pharmaceutical companies think that
red wine is good for diabetics - but I haven't seen any proof - so, in a general sense, stay away from alcohol.

sagnw 31 Jul 2016

Thanks for your clarification.

Trish Schiesser 1 Aug 2016

You're welcome, I'm sure.
Good luck and God bless you.