Does clonazepam help with Xanax withdrawals?

Stephen Treloar 15 Oct 2016

That's just going backwards; Clonazepam is more habit forming than Alprazolam (Xanax). Xanax withdrawals might be better treated with Diazepam (Valium). A tapering program would be best and your doctor could be helpful (he might just cancel the script if he is nasty). Reduce the amount of Xanax you are taking now and try to only use it as needed (when you are anxious, rather than in anticipation of anxiety). When you are on a smaller amount, switch to Valium and the try to work toward taking that as needed. At this point (under 5mg/day), I can just quit with just slightly light sleep for 2 -3 weeks.

Good luck.

defnee 16 Oct 2016

I was taking Alprazolam for about 17 years, my doctor switch me to Clonazepam, never had any withdrawals.

Stephen Treloar 17 Oct 2016

Well, you wouldn't have. You never stopped taking medication. He wants to get off Xanax, not to replace it with something that has to be taken everyday and is more habit forming. :-)