Can Cipro cure black tounge?

DzooBaby 15 Nov 2013

Antibiotics often cause "black tongue". A black tongue is usually a harmless condition that can be caused by medications, smoking, poor oral hygiene, soft diet, or dry mouth. A black tongue is usually associated with elongated tongue papillae and thus, it is called “black hairy tongue” (lingua villosa nigra). The cause is thought to be a change in the normal bacteria in the mouth after antibiotic treatment or use of products that contain bismuth such as Pepto-Bismol. (“Hairy tongue” by itself can also be white or tan.) Treatment may involve improving one's diet, smoking cessation, and improved oral hygiene (including gently brushing or scraping the tongue). If this doesnt improve the condition, see your dentist for evaluation.

Bassman57 16 Nov 2013

Hey thanks DzooBaby, but to shed more light, I have not been on any antibiotics in the last 6 months, working on week 12 of quitting smoking, have excellent oral hygiene (only 2 cavities in my entire life-I'm 57) and have not changed my normal diet. Have not had any bismuth containing medications. I am a chemist, and am thinking of an H2O2 dilution solution as a rinse, but unknown why/how I got this. I have an old Rx to Ciproflaxin (sp) and wondered if it would kill this bacteria or make it worse. I know Cipro is an extremely agressive anti-biotic and kills lots of bad AND good bacteria. Just wondering if it will kill this bacteria. Thanks if you can give more insight.