I have chronic sciatica and back pain what works?

Factfinder411 7 May 2013

Tynolel or Advil for back pain. You need a muscle relaxer or nerve pain meds for the scaitica.

Stiff Steph 7 May 2013

Yep you need to get nerve pain pills from your doctor or a muscle relaxer like Flexaril. These drugs are not covered by some insurance plans because they are expensive. Flexaril is appox. $42 to refill at pharmacy. Good luck in getting what you need. I have Fibromyalgia and I take Gabapentin, Paxil, and Hydroduiril.

Jessholland 8 May 2013

I've had six screws, two cages and two rods put in my lower back only to make my chronic pain worse. I take a combination of Percocet, fentenyl, elavil, and gabapentin. They seem to work most days although I always seem to run out towards the end of the month. That's when I contact my online "buddy". It's good to have friends!

DzooBaby 8 May 2013

Everyone is very different and what works for one person may not help another at all. If you have chronic pain, the best thing you can do is get on board with a good pain management Dr who can work with you to find the right combination for you. Opioids do not usually work for nerve pain like sciatica. It often takes a combination of medications to work best.

Factfinder411 8 May 2013

My state Nj and Delaware pain management will not see you for sciatica. They don't deal with a lot of nerve issues. They won't even see you for neuropathy unless you get documenation from an ortho and neurologist. Took my dad 4 years to get into pain management and he had to get a different diagonse.

Getting into pain management isn't as easy as everyone says unless you live in Florida or Virginia where they seem to be able to push pills like crazy.

Buddy1971 8 May 2013

A friend of mine get 3 60mg morphine 3 5mg oxycodone a day,but that is more then most people do & it's probably not something you want to get into because once your on a steady dose of opiates your kina of in a bind because you will be physically dependent on them. Nurontin works well for nerve pain & Diazapam is what they prescribed me for muscle spasms after neck surgery but as others said there are a lot of others that don't cary the risk of being habit forming. Good luck.

ang1049 8 May 2013

I take Lortab 10 mg 4x per day.Sometimes less.Valium 10mg 2x a day.1 Soma 350 mg.before bedtime.I use a ten's unit all day.And sleep with a heating pad.I am not out of pain,but I can get a few things done.You just have to try different medications that may work for you.Everyone is different.I take as a little as possible.I do not want to build up a tolerance to the medications.But I have yet to find anything that takes the pain away,without actually having to go Pain Management Clinic.It does seem to ease off,if I walk around the house.Do a little housework.The worst pain is when you first wake up... if you even get any sleep.I feel like the Tin man from the Wizard of Oz and need oil!!Good luck!