Chronic Pain - What is the difference between Hydrocodone and a Fentanyl Patch?

dubalmighty 22 Nov 2013

That's like asking what's the difference between ibuprofen and aspirin, first of all they are two different medicines, and fentanyl is easy more potent, and in my opinion less euphoric than hydrocodone.

meadow15 22 Nov 2013

I guess the question would have been more clear if I was to ask what the upside to a Fentanyl Patch if one was taking 10/325 Hydrocodone for pain and receiving quite good pain relief. Wondering what the upside of changing the therapy would be.

CleanX 22 Nov 2013

Hi meadow15, that's a good question. Hydrocodone is Vicodin. The fentanyl patch is far more powerful as far as medicine goes. Because it's a patch it'll constantly release a steady stream of medication. Hydrocodone only lasts for a couple hrs. God bless.
Kimmi

kaismama 22 Nov 2013

Ok, the upside is that to treat chronic pain, the best way is to use a long acting pain med, like the patch. It is also way more effective then hydrocodone. Also you aren't getting all that tylenol. That can be harmful to your liver.

DzooBaby 22 Nov 2013

With the Fentanyl patch you get consistent relief for days where with hydrocodone, it is short acting and you only get a few hours relief then the pain builds before you can take another pill. With hydrocodone, you constantly have to chase pain and with Fentanyl, you can prevent it. It is just a much more consistent relief. I wish I could use them. My body didnt like the adhesives and started blistering.