So I've always had bowel problems. It started at such a young age. My mom used to have to give me enemas. During my teens I never went the average amount but I usually went every 3 to 4 days which I guess was normal for me. Now, I am in my early twenties (24 to be exact) and I'm not sure what is going on but I can't go without taking a laxative or stool softener. And even these hardly do the job. I have GERD (acid reflux disease) so I bloat really easily after just about anything I eat or drink.I'm not sure if this is the cause to my constipation because my digestive system is slower than normal. So maybe it takes longer for food to process through me than regular, but I have not a clue. I didn't get diagnosed with GERD until just this past year when I had unexplainable pain and hearburn for several weeks. After many tests, it was discovered I had acid reflux disease. Now to talk about my poo, I go once every 8-9 days. This, I know, is not healthy. Also, after I have a bowel movement (big or small) I feel pressure on my anus to go again. Even though, if I were to try and go again nothing would come out. Is this a sign of irritable bowel syndrome? When I go, I push so hard. I have to or else I would just be sitting there with no result. Many times I am able to get some of it out but it is almost always a small lump/ball. I have these results usually once or twice a day. I know I am not done because after a whole week of eating lots of food, you can't tell me that's all the waste I have in me. However, after as long as over a week I am able to have a medium to large BM that makes me feel empty inside. Usually after these I feel much better. But then the following week I go through the same thing. I have tried Exlax and this does nothing. I have tried a stool softener and they I think help somewhat but I don't have a BM in the recommended time span. It's usually a lot longer. You're probably wondering what my diet is like and I really don't eat that much. To break it down, I get up in the morning usually between 8 and 10 am. I have something to drink usually juice and something to snack on. As of late it has been a banana because in the morning first thing I have little appetite. Then I usually go most the day with no significant amount of food. I may have a snack, something small like a cookie or a candy bar. And around dinnertime I have a big meal. Typical meals are spaghetti and garlic bread, fish and veggies, chicken and potatoes. Once in awhile we order out or go out to eat. I am not overweight I don't think. 5'6 and 150 lbs. But I bloat no matter what goes into my body. Large meal or small, I usually look like I'm pregnant after I eat. And no, I have never been pregnant. I will admit I haven't been exercising like I should but since all this has gotten so bad I have started. I do a mile to 2 mile walk at home video because after lots of research exercise gets the poop moving! Unfortunately, I have been exercising about 2 to 3 times a week for the past 3 weeks and no change.
So I feel like I have tried about everything. I have not seen my doctor because I think all he would say is it's just constipation, change your lifestyle and that'd be that. It is very frustrating and does cause some anxiety. I don't know what to really do at this point.