Chlorhexidine - Can this product cause skin irritation?

Rajive Goel 16 Dec 2011

Skin irritation has not been documented with the use of Chlorhexidine, maybe you could speak to the doc, he/she would give you more info & possible remedy.

Take care, bets wishes!

DzooBaby 16 Dec 2011

I'm not sure where my friend Rajive was looking about the side effects of chlorhexidine, but I have to respectfully disagree (unless he was looking at the chlorhexidine dental rinse) but chlorhexidine scrub for the skin can most certainly cause skin irritation. It is very harsh. I used to give people baths with it the night before their surgery and it used to tear up my hands raw!! (you can tell that was a while ago!!! lol No one goes in the night before for surgery anymore unless they are already In the hospital!) I'm sure that chlorhexidine solution hasnt changed much in the past 20 years though. Here is a link to review the side effects of chlorhexidine
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/chlorhexidine-side-effects.html
If this solution is very irritating to your skin, please talk to your Dr. Irritation and breaks in the skin can set you up for infection/cellulitis so he may need to prescribe something less harsh.