Do children who gain weight on abilify lose it easily once taken off of the medication?

Katiescarlettac 25 Sep 2016

It depends on the person. My experience: I gained 40 lbs on Abilify, over 8 months. Finally pinpointed it as the problem & stopped. Nothing happened for 1 month. Over the next 5 weeks 15 lbs fell off, without any effort on my part at all. The next 10 fell off gradually, over a couple months. I had to exercise and improve my diet for the remaining 15 to come off, but it still came off pretty readily.

I've seen other stories where it all came off immediately--though in their cases, they realized sooner & had only gained 6-20 lbs, no where near what I dealt with.

A neighbor (the daughter, off at college) put on 70 or 80 lbs & had a hard time getting it off.