What is the chemical composition of the out side cover tetracycline capsule?

DzooBaby 8 Mar 2012

Most capsules are gelatin. I copied from the tetracycline listed here on drugs.com but this composition may vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer especially dyes and such if that is what you are looking for. Like I said, the main ingredient for capsules is gelatin. Here is the ingredient list I found on this site:

Each capsule, for oral administration, contains 250 mg or 500 mg Tetracycline hydrochloride, and has the following inactive ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, gelatin, pregelatinized starch, propylene glycol, shellac glaze (modified), stearic acid, and titanium dioxide. The 250 mg capsules also contain black iron oxide, FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue #2 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, and FD&C Yellow #6. The 500 mg capsules also contain ammonium hydroxide, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, and simethicone.