As some of you know, I'm dealing with a very painful neuropathy in my feet that is moving up to my lower calves. I sit down at my job for over 10 hours a day and that proves to be as painful as standing for awhile. The only relief I get is when I'm sitting with my legs elevated. I've been seeing a neuro for a short while; he cut back my Gabapentin to 300mg 3x's a day but started me on Lamictal instead. This week he is conducting an EMG/NCV to test my nerves and muscles. I feel like he is the right physician for me as he seems to care and is willing to try different things to improve my situation. Since I've switched meds the intense pain that I used to feel in the middle of the day and early evenings had lessened. However, it's much harder to go to sleep and once I wake up I have a really hard time falling back to sleep due to the pain. I attribute this to cutting back from 900mg of Gaba to 300mg at night. So there has been some positve changes and some negative changes.
This problem has steadily gotten worse over the last 5 years. But the last year has increased in pain and numbness exponentially. I was unable to plan a family vacation this summer as I didn't know what kind of vacation involved sitting with my legs up all of the time. But my whole family is going to DisneyWorld next year and I've promised my girls that my handicap will NOT affect their vacation. My sister and I have discussed my getting a wheel chair or perhaps a walker as this vacation will require a lot of walking. However, other people say, "Well when you get this under control, you won't have to worry about it." This leads to my question, "Is this like cancer - where it will go in to remission? Or diabetes, where if you practice all of the precautions you can live an almost normal life?" Is there a chance next spring I can go to DW and be able to walk the same as anyone else my age? Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help!
B