Celexa: does it take 4wks to get working like most anti-depressants?

LaurieShay 11 Aug 2011

Hey Mistyr69,

Yep, it can take upwards of a month to reach maximum effectiveness.

Best wishes,

Laurie

Delila 11 Aug 2011

Hi, Laurie is right. You may sometimes feel a difference (for the better) before 4 weeks though if you are started on a low dose and your dose is increased during the first 4 weeks. For example, i started on 20mg, after 3 weeks i still felt completely hopeless. My doctor increased my dose to 40mg and i felt better pretty much immediately!

Delila 11 Aug 2011

Excuse the 2 answers, the site timed out and i thought my reply had been wiped, but obviously not!! : )

Delila 11 Aug 2011

Hi, Laurie is right. You can sometimes feel better before the 4 weeks though if you are started on a low dose and your dose is increased during the first month. For example, i started on 20mg and after 3 weeks i still felt hopeless, so i was prescribed 40mg, and i felt better almost immediately.