Should I take celexa if I have cirrhosis?

suzanne66 17 Apr 2013

Celexa is cleared from the body mainly by the liver. Reduced liver function may result in more drug than expected staying in the body. This could lead to unwanted side effects. Your doctor will want to monitor you closely and may need to adjust your dose accordingly.

suhakitten 28 May 2013

I am taking celexa at 10 mg a day; a pretty low dose dose for depression & anxiety. I was on this dose before my diagnosis, too. I see a NP who works in a gastroenterologist office and is basically in charge of my liver case - I don't exactly trust her knowledge in general on cirrhosis & liver disease (ugh), but she said it should be fine. She also acknowledged it will stress my liver more than if I didn't take it, but that's probably better than the alternative of depression & anxiety compiled w/ this disease. But ask your Dr. - someone who has a thorough understanding of your condition and hepatic functioning..

When you find out more, let us know!