Can I take Ceftin if I am allergic to Augmentin?

Marvell 29 Jul 2012

If you are allergic to Augmentin then you are allergic to penicillin. People who are allergic to penicillin could be (or are likely to be) allergic to Ceftin (cefuroxime), a cephalosporin antibiotic.

https://www.drugs.com/ceftin.html

kaismama 29 Jul 2012

There is a 10% chance you will be allergic to cephalosporins if you are allergic to penicillins. My question is what happens to you if you take augmentin because alot of people call stomach upset or something like that an allergy. I am allergic to penicillin and have never reacted to a cephalosporin.

tinamerk 8 Sep 2018

I think this is very interesting. I had a severe reaction to augmenting many years ago. Severe onset of vomiting & diarrhea which caused me to become severely dehydrated. I have avoided it since then. Yesterday I was prescribed Ceftin for a sinus infection. Same reaction. Severe stomach spasms, sweating profusely, nearly fainted. I have to believe that these 2 meds are too similar. I am calling to ask for a different antibiotic.