Is "Cefaly" effective on migraine and how we can get it?

Auracle 15 Oct 2014

Hello!

I've been suffering with mainly painless ocular auras and have gotten vestibular migraine (the worst!) and retinal (total blindness) since being in a very stressful situation two years ago.

I've been to an opthalmologist who sent me to a neurologist. Four MRI's of the head and neck were normal. My internist sent me to an ENT specialist who said, after two days of tests: "I'm sorry I can't help you, this is all migraine."

I was on Calan for months and that (calcium channel blocker) did not help;
I tried Topiramate and couldn't converge my eyes, it was dreadful;
It was recommended that I take Cymbalta: no different than Lexipro;
I think there were even a few more drugs that were worthless.

I had months of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Herbs. No appreciable improvement; massage therapy weekly helped a bit and I found it interesting that the therapist keeps finding knots in the area of the occipital lobe as that is the eye area.

I bought Gunnars glasses which are supposed to help if you are a heavy computer user. Nothing consistent.

My head has been injected with Botox and I can't really say it works.

In September there were SIX days when I didn't have an event with head pain or some kind of ocular. Then things began to improve:

I bought the Cefaly apparatus and have been using it for three months, starting in July. I ordered it via paypal and sent a doctors Rx via a scan/email to the company in Belgium.
The directions are at Cefaly.com.

I was ready to try anything. (The next quest will be exploring food allergies which I believe play a big part in all this as the earth is riddled with chemicals and food is not what it used to be: see the movie Food, Inc.)

Anyway, I still get "episodes," but I am getting them less frequently and less consistently in length. Some are barely perceivable.

I feel the Cefaly apparatus is the reason!

I use it religiously, mostly in the evenings. Note: It has not intervened while I had a headache or ocular episode and I often feel like my forehead has the tickle feeling that the electrode is on. The machine stimulates the facical trigeminal nerve which has been said to be a migraine cause and builds a kind of resistance. I know there is another company coming out with a machine that stimulates another part of the head.

I personally feel that all these drugs people are taking are dangerous and can't do a body good but we get desperate from pain and discomfort.

From what I read there is a Canadian version of Cefaly that has 3 settings, one for intervention and another for massage along with the treatment. The Belgian version has one setting; there was no option to choose devices.

The feeling is not particularly comfortable at first but you build up a tolerance and get used to it.

It is about $300. with one electrode--I bought an extra 3 electrodes for about $25. and the electrodes must be replaced; they say every 20 days but mine have lasted for a month and a half by keeping it on the original plastic and in the envelope it comes in and then in a baggie.

I think it is worth a try; anything to get off all that medication!