my girlfriend takes a medication for it and i dont want to get it
Hepatitis B Causes
* The hepatitis B virus is known as a blood-borne virus because it is transmitted from one person to another via blood.
Semen and saliva, which contain small amounts of blood, also carry the virus.
The virus can be transmitted whenever any of these bodily fluids come in contact with the broken skin or a mucous membrane (in the mouth, genital organs, or rectum) of an uninfected person.
* People who are at increased risk of being infected with the hepatitis B virus include the following:
o Men or women who have multiple sex partners, especially if they don't use a condom
o Men who have sex with men
o Men or women who have sex with a person infected with HBV
o People with other sexually transmitted diseases
o People who inject drugs with shared needles
o People who receive transfusions of blood or blood products
o People who undergo dialysis for kidney disease
o Institutionalized mentally handicapped people and their attendants and family members
o Health care workers who are stuck with needles or other sharp instruments contaminated with infected blood
o Infants born to infected mothers
* In some cases, the source of transmission is never known.
* The younger you are when you become infected with the hepatitis B virus, the more likely you are to develop chronic hepatitis B. The rates of progression to chronic hepatitis B are as follows:
o 90% of infants infected at birth
o 30% of children infected at age 1-5 years
o 6% of people infected after age 5 years
o 5-10% of infected adults
* You cannot get hepatitis B from the following activities:
o Being sneezed or coughed on
o Eating food or drinking water
o Casual contact (such as an office or social setting)
For more details, please read: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hepatitis_b/article_em.htm, hope the info is helpful?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 6 Nov 2009 • 1 answer
Hepatitis B Immune Globulin - One of my friends has history of liver transplant due to Hepatitis B.?
Posted 5 May 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 11 Mar 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 30 Jun 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 3 Jan 2016 • 1 answer