Can cats and dogs get rabies from eating a diseased bat?

kaismama 21 Jun 2014

I would have to say the potential is there, its spread in the animals saliva, and can be absorbed thru mucus membranes. If they got some of the bats saliva in their mouth, theoretically they could get it. Just the thought of my precious little dog eating a bat makes me shudder, lol.

Christine Kapp 21 Jun 2014

Thank you so much for the answer. The problem is my cat caught the bat, but the dog took it off him, and I think ate it, as I can't find it anywhere, and I have been looking. They are all vaccinated for Rabies, but it's always better to be careful. I didn't even know we had bats around here, until last night when my cat brought it in.

kaismama 21 Jun 2014

If your dog is like mine, he has favorite hiding spots. I find treats he stashed in the oddest places. As long as they are vaccinated I wouldn't worry too much. I think you can find bats everywhere. They aren't picky, lol