Can you take phentermine when your doctor has prescribed levothyroxin?

Anonymous 17 Dec 2011

Hello stategirl. I ran a check and it shows that theres no interactions between taking the two together. Which doesn't mean there are none, its just never been reported as such. You might ask your doctor or pharmacist to confirm, or get thier opinion. Best of wishes to you,pledge

pup6767 17 Dec 2011

Dear stategirl,
I would not recommend taking phentermine while also on levothyroxin. Phentermine is a sympathomimetic drug chemically related to amphetamines. Having a thyroid condition means that when taking the levo u could also go the other end of the thyroid spectrum which would b hyperthyroid. These symptoms r similar to those that r produced by drugs such as phentermine. It would be difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of the levothyroxine. I would highly recommend to NOT take the two drugs together.
Be well and God Bless... pup