Can you take hctz with atenolol?

Rajive Goel 11 Jul 2011

Checked on the Interactions Checker and this was reported:

Applies to: atenolol, hydrochlorothiazide

MONITOR: Although they are often combined in clinical practice, diuretics and beta-blockers may increase the risk of hyperglycemia and hypertriglyceridemia in some patients, especially in patients with diabetes or latent diabetes. In addition, the risk of QT interval prolongation and arrhythmias (e.g. torsades de pointes) due to sotalol may be increased by potassium-depleting diuretics.

MANAGEMENT: Monitoring of serum potassium levels, blood pressure, and blood glucose is recommended during coadministration. Patients should be advised to seek medical assistance if they experience dizziness, weakness, fainting, fast or irregular heartbeats, or loss of blood glucose control.

DzooBaby 11 Jul 2011

I've taken atenolol with HCTZ for years with no problems but if I get sick, I do have a tendency to get low potassium levels then. As long as they check your potassium levels and monitor your other blood work, you should be okay.