Can you take cymbalta and adipex together?

Rajive Goel 23 Oct 2010

Checked on the Interactions Checker & copied & pasted for you to read.

Applies to: Adipex-P (phentermine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

GENERALLY AVOID: Several case reports suggest that serotonin reuptake inhibitors may potentiate the pharmacologic response to sympathomimetic agents. The exact mechanism of interaction is unclear. In one case report, a patient experienced jitteriness, racing thoughts, stomach cramps, dry eyes, palpitations, tremors, and restlessness following a single dose of phentermine ingested approximately a week after she had discontinued fluoxetine. Because of the long half-life of fluoxetine and its metabolite, an interaction with fluoxetine is possible. Similar toxic reactions have been reported when fluoxetine was used concomitantly with amphetamine or phenylpropanolamine. Additionally, some sympathomimetic agents such as amphetamines may possess serotonergic activity and should generally not be administered with serotonin reuptake inhibitors because of the additive risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors. The interaction was suspected in a patient treated with dexamphetamine who developed symptoms consistent with the serotonin syndrome approximately 2 weeks after the addition of venlafaxine. The medications were discontinued and the patient was given cyproheptadine for suspected serotonin syndrome, whereupon symptoms promptly resolved. A second episode occurred when dexamphetamine was subsequently resumed and citalopram added. The patient improved following cessation of citalopram on his own, and residual symptoms were successfully treated with cyproheptadine.

MANAGEMENT: In general, amphetamines and other sympathomimetic appetite suppressants should not be combined with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Close monitoring for enhanced sympathomimetic effects and possible serotonin syndrome is recommended if these agents must be used together. Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Read more: https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1851-4510,949-2273#ixzz139wLaDxb

04triplets 23 Oct 2010

Thanks I did read that, my doctor new I was taking cymbalta she just uped it to 90 mg a day,but I said sometimes I take adipex and she didnt warn me of it.

04triplets 23 Oct 2010

Is any body else taking adipex and antidipressants?

Rajive Goel 24 Oct 2010

Thanks, you could perhaps seek a second opinion, take care.

Notthatbad 26 Oct 2010

I'm not sure how different phentermine and Dexedrine are. But I take Cymbalta 60mg with Dexedrine time-release at 10-20 mg with no problem. I believe phentermine is a weight loss/stimulant.
Dexedrine is also s stimulant and was used for weight loss. I use it for add.
The thing I've found to have trouble with are antidepressants that work on dopamine (usually the chemical triggered with stimulants. Zoloft and wellbutrin both made me feel very anxious, and both act on dopamine. But lexapro and cymbalta have worked fine for me with Dexedrine.

Bottom line is that your doctor know which meds you're on.
And since everyone reacts differently, let dr know if you feel more agitated or anxious.
Hope this helps.