Can using Simponi cause hair loss?

Anonymous 10 Jul 2011

Hair loss is not listed or reported as a possible side effect.

Please note - some side effects for Simponi may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).

Side Effects of Simponi - for the Consumer

Simponi

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Simponi:

Cold sores; cough; dizziness; mild pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; nausea; runny or stuffy nose.

Gina28282 7 Dec 2013

I know that you asked this question quite a while ago now, I just joined and have been on Simponi for almost a year and half now. I started to have hair loss from around six months after I started. I was given tips to help with it. Are you still having trouble.

Colleen M M 7 Dec 2013

I have been using Simponi for over a year. They do not list it as a side effect but my hair is thinning a lot. I believe the company responsible for Simponi should look further into it.

Gina28282 8 Dec 2013

I found the company that delivers my injections very helpful. They told me that it has been reported that some people do suffer with hair loss. The also recommended to use baby shampoo and if using conditioner try to only use on ends of hair. They also said to get a soft bristle brush as it can help to reduce hair loss too. I found that it has slowed down slightly and I have tufty bits where it's growing back in some parts. Hope this helps a little.

lolly33 8 Dec 2013

Any tnf biological dmard can give u hair loss ,it actually lists simponi as one of them but its is less than 1% , have a diet high in omegas and ask ur doctor if tjete ate any treatments to stop it or wether u can change to a different tnf ,

Gina28282 8 Dec 2013

This might be a silly question but do you have any recommendations of what foods are high in omegas??

lolly33 17 Dec 2013

Oily fish like salmon,tuna are good also seeds like sunflower ,pepitas ( pumpkin seeds ) and chia seeds have 9 x the omega 3 than fish so there really high ,also some nuts ,