Can u take neurontin as needed for pain?

mpvt 5 Mar 2010

For adults, the initial dose of gabapentin is 300 mg taken by mouth three times each day. The dosage may be increased if necessary. Dosages as high as 800–1,200 mg three times daily have been well tolerated.

In children three to 12 years of age, the starting dose should be 10–15 mg/2.2 lb (1 kg)/day given in three equal doses. This dose can be increased until an effective dosage is reached, typically 25–40 mg/2.2 lb (1 kg)/day. Lower dosages are required for patients that have kidney disease.

Hope this helps... also Lyrica is related to this drug but seems to be much more effective. You might want to ask your doctor about it if the gabapentin isn't working well enough... Dave

subzero58 5 Mar 2010

when i was put on neurontin i went through a months supply befor i felt like i was wasting my money.my doc told me i had to be patient that the effectiveness can take months to be felt. but he has had good results with it in the past. so i guess the answer is no you can't take it as needed for pain.