Can Trazodone help me with my chronic pain problems?

Anonymous 1 Oct 2010

No it will not help you.-

Trazodone is an antidepressant medication. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression
Trazodone is used to treat depression.

Take care.-

hey maso, i have a question. if depression can cause pain... couldnt the antidepressant help with some types of pain? or is it a load of bs? i just heard it on the commercials on tv. im sure you may have seen the cymbalta commercial. "depression hurts, but you dont have to". do you think there is truth in this?

Anonymous 2 Oct 2010

Hi my friend... I do not live in the states, therefore I have not seen the commercial. I would have to say as being advertised on TV, there are certain regultions and rules that companies advertising their products must follow these guidelines. Now their are many medications which can treat and benefit other conditions called off label uses.- And the states being so regulated in every aspect I do not believe they would show a commercial which would cause a huge law suit for the pharmaceutical company which makes this drug, if this was not true. So for this one it is true... bingo!

e.g.

Cymbalta is used to treat the following conditions:

Depression (also known as major depression or clinical depression)
Peripheral diabetic neuropathy pain (nerve pain in the hands, feet, arms, or legs due to diabetes)
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
Fibromyalgia.

Take care Melissa

RSDHurtzme 2 Oct 2010

maso is lucky to not be bombarded with US drug ads. They have become the worst drug pushers of all time. I do agree that something like Cymbalta prescribed with a real pain med can help but it takes a combination.
By the time on TV that they list all the side effects, you don't want to take anything.
I hope you get to feeling better and also I agree that Trazadone is nothing but a very strong and old anti depressant.
Best Wishes

Minnieme 2 Oct 2010

Trazodone can be prescribed "off label" by your Dr. for other uses: (Fibromyalgia, CRPS, Diabetic Neuropathy, etc.)
Worth a shot talking to your Dr about this, we all act differently to meds...

Anonymous 2 Oct 2010

Hello,minnieme I am not competing with you I never do with anyone, my intentions are to help, always. I care about people and informing them well, as you have.-

Trazodone also has been successfully applied to a number of other problems including insomnia, bulimia, and schizophrenia, to name a few “off-label” uses.

This does not mean you are incorrect, I just thought of adding some additional information as you have done.-

Have a nice weekend.-

ElizaJane23 2 Oct 2010

Trazodone is at times prescribed for sleep, as it is very sedating. With chronic pain it can be difficult to get a good night's sleep, and not sleeping well can worsen your pain, so indirectly the Trazodone could help you sleep better so your pain levels would be lower. Of course, always ask your doctor before starting or stopping any medications.

Emmajik 6 Aug 2016

I have taken trazodone for sleep for 20 years now... after a couple years using it, I developed fibromyalgia nerve pain during the day. I am sure that the withdrawal from the nightly trazodone has caused withdrawal in the form of fibro nerve pain during the day. Now I have to take it all the time even though it causes drowsiness during the day. I can't take enough to take away the nerve pain during the day. Beware.

rnicole1979 18 days ago

Emmajik, hello, just a suggestion but my mother and myself suffer from fibromyalgia pain and my mother had to have gabapentin added to help with the fibro. I have taken the trazodone at night and Lyrica during the day and feel better as far as the nerve pain goes. Hope this was helpful