My 78 yr old husband was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. No treatment! But he did ask doctor for pain meds, and began taking, first, oxycodone, 5 mg, and now tells me, he is taking only Fentanly 25 mcg.

He has never used drugs before, and has very low threshold for pain. His personality has changed drastically! He has become really hateful and mean; screams, says things that don't even make sense to me. He either just sits and reads, or goes to bed, sleeps, or watches television. He does drive to town a couple of times a week. I don't want to go into details about his actions, but I am becoming very concerned. And he has not been this way in the past. I don't know whether to blame it on depression or the drugs!

He was diagnosed in October, and in a short time, within two weeks, he asked, and received, the pain meds. He is so afraid of any type of pain.

I guess my question is ... can these narcotic pain meds make a person's behavior change so dramatically? Particularly if he really doesn't have sever pain?

I'd appreciate any information or help I can get, and thank you in advance.

Barb