Can prednisone affect a person's mental capacity or memory?

itsmetoo2 25 Dec 2009

Rarely it can cause confusion. But memory I have not found anything. My question how long on Prednisone? You should only be on it for only short periods of time. It is a steroid... For this I am very concerned. If you can get off of it please for your health sake do. Whatever is the problem, there are other medicine for you, that are not as damaging.

mitjason 26 Dec 2009

The most common side effects of Prednisone are the following: Gastric Hypersecretory Conditions, Increased Appetite, Infection, Insomnia and Nervousness. Rarely does Prednisone effects Cognition. It can be an extremely safe drug if taken as directed by your doctor. Long term use can cause some more severe side effects depending on the amount you are taking and your condition. As long as you talk to your doctor and don't experience the severe side effects such as the following you should be fine as long as you take it as prescribes. Abdominal Swelling, Allergic Reactions,
Body Fluid Retention or any Conduction Disorder of the Heart. As long as your talking to you doctor about the side effects you should be totally fine. Happy Holidays!