Can Penicillin Vk 500mg tablets (white oval S51) be cut in 1/2? ..so 250mg can be taken per dose. There's no line on the tablet, but I'm pretty sure they're not time released. I'm taking them for a sinus infection/upper respitory track infection.
Can Penicillin Vk 500mg tablets(white oval S21) be cut in 1/2?
- 23 Dec 2010 by sunshine45
- 21 January 2011
- penicillin vk, clostridial infection, deep neck infection, joint infection, meningitis, otitis media, pneumonia, skin infection, bacterial infection, tonsillitis/pharyngitis, penicillin, upper respiratory tract infection, strep throat
If that was the dose prescribed why do/did you want to cut them? You should follow the doctors instructions and take 500mg as directed.
I checked with my friend who is the hospital pharmacist he said that you should be able to do that and not have a problem, just for your information some drugs are not mean't to be cut such as long acting (extended release drugs) and I just wanted to ask him to be sure and he says it is fine
- Penicillin VK Information for Consumers
- Penicillin VK Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Penicillin VK (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Updated 29 Aug 2018 • 5 answers
Updated 21 Mar 2018 • 2 answers
Updated 6 Jan 2015 • 2 answers
Updated 10 Aug 2017 • 1 answer
Updated 19 Feb 2019 • 2 answers