Can paxil cause abnormal pap-smears in teen girls and young women?

Junior1962 19 Aug 2009

Paxil is a drug belonging to the SSRI group. SSRI's work by stopping the sending neuron from 'reuptake'ing serotonin that sits in the synapse (gap between neurons) for too long. It effectively allows the receiving neuron more time to process said serotonin.
I know serotonin also affects the GI tract but as far as I know it has nothing to do with a woman's reproductive system. I'd check with your Dr but I highly doubt that it would cause abnormal pap smears.

Camille88 29 Sep 2009

... Although apparently it does actually affect your reproductive system. If you research paxil & pregnancy more you will find it has been known to affect the fetus... this is your reproductive system. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all because I am not, I have just been researching paxil a lot lately since I just started taking it as well. I don't know how it would affect a pap smear either but I do know it can affect pregnancies. I know for me it's seemed to affect just about every aspect of myself so far and I have only been on it for about 3 weeks.

Junior1962 30 Sep 2009

Yes, antidepressants like Paxil may damage a developing fetus but that would be because the drug crosses the placenta. I don't know that it would affect the uterus / cervix per se though. But, I'm no an expert and I know that 10 years ago the medical profession was saying that there was no evidence that SSRI's were addictive. We now know differently. I certainly wouldn't be risking taking anything during pregnancy unless it was absolutely necessary.