Can metformin make me lose weight?

Rajive Goel 14 Sep 2011

In most of the studies of metformin before it was approved, people on metformin lost weight (1.4 to 8.4 pounds on average). However, the people in these studies who were not taking metformin also lost weight. The difference between the groups was not significant, meaning that there was no statistical difference between the two groups. In these studies, people were taking metformin to treat type 2 diabetes. It is not known if metformin has any effect on weight in people who do not have diabetes.

It is important to note that in most studies of metformin, people did not usually gain weight. Many other diabetes medications are known to cause weight gain, which is particularly undesirable for people with type 2 diabetes. So, even if metformin does not cause weight loss, it is often a good choice for overweight people with type 2 diabetes.

It is not entirely clear if metformin causes weight loss for most people with type 2 diabetes. At the very least, however, it seems that people taking metformin do not gain weight (a common problem with many other diabetes medications). It is not known if metformin has any effect on weight in people who do not have diabetes.

Take care, best wishes!

migie 15 Sep 2011

thanks Rajive! really appreciate your big help... actually my doctor prescribed me this medicine & i stop using it, then inow im just thinking of taking it again. thanks!

Rajive Goel 15 Sep 2011

Most welcome, please do not stop or start to take any prescribed med., I did it year ago and had have to pay a very heavy price, health wise, & importantly the med happened to be Metformin.

Please, I am not scaring you, but do seek medical advice before you stop or start any med, strictly follow the advice of the doc.

Take care, best wishes!