Can Lexapro blur your common sense thinking?

hardfi 30 Jul 2010

I believe that it can. I was only prescribed it once in my life. I took it for two months and noticed that it made me angry and violent. I also went drinking for 11 days straight in which I had only maybe been drunk two times in my life and that was only because of a couple social events. Lexapro has only been around since 1998 so I don't trust it very much. I have seen several doctors in the last eight years and none of them except for that first one seemed to be too impressed with it so that tells me that its obviously not for everybody.

whammy 30 Jul 2010

My daughter doesn't hang with the same kids anymore. She is vandilizing and stealing. I am afraid that lexapro has taken away that ability of concern for right and wrong. She doesn't act out bad in everyday issues just her judgement is weird these days. I have taken her down from 20mg. to 10mg in the last 3 weeks and I am going to take it to 5mg. this week. I don't think I am going to fast but I want her off.

lindagail1965 30 Jul 2010

i am 45 years old an have depression an panic attacks since my mid 20s i have been on all sorts of meds through the years ... right now im taking lexapro ... for me it doesnt work at all im on 20 mg but im fixing to ask for something different so in my opinion lexapro is no good.

Lielanie 30 Jul 2010

Check with her Dr., I know when I first started taken Lex the Dr. was very direct that if I had mood changes or altered thoughts that I needed to come back and try a different medication.

It's scary that we are prescribed medications that alter the brain, but yet Dr.'s do not know exactly whose brain will be altered in which ways... I think Lexapro is a drug that 20-25 years from now you will see on those commercials for big lawsuits..

jamelleo 22 Aug 2010

My husband was prescribed Lexapro for anxiety and stress. Six weeks later he killed himself. I have lived with my husband for nearly 17 years. He has always had a little stress and tension in his life. Mostly due to caring for his parents, children and grandchildren and constantly worrying about his siblings. He was a true family man. The day before his death he had canned green beans and tomatoes. He took his grandson for a haircut and got one himself. He did a little work for an elderly couple a few miles down. He worked in the garden when he got home. We had a spat. I figured he was hot and tired due to working outdoors in 90 degree weather. But nothing really different than any other. I figured it would all blow over just like all the others have before. The next morning he was gone from a gun shot wound to the head. The day of his death, was the same day as his nephew's birthday party. He worshipped his parents and his father's birthday was the following day.

pepsnme 30 Aug 2010

From my experience it definitely did affect my 'moral compass', and contributed to further stress and anxiety. I was very easily influenced, something that was quite strange for me, and am only now starting to see how ambivelant I was about everything. My drinking became a problem, and my ability to say no virtually disappeared. I became involved with a married man, which I am so ashamed to admit, and thankfully managed to extricate myself out of that situation, but still am amazed that it happened in the first place... (my only solace is that I didn't know he was married until 3 months after, but still no excuse) So that's a big YES, it can definitely affect common sense, and sense of self.