Can I use gentian violet on my 4 month old child?

DzooBaby 22 Mar 2011

Gentian violet should not be swallowed and I think it would be difficult to administer to a child of this age without the baby swallowing. It also stains horribly. Is this for oral thrush? Have you tried Nystatin yet? I used Nystatin with both of my babies. They both had oral thrush when they were a few months old and the nystatin worked well for them. You have to kind of trickle the dose when giving it to them so it stays in contact with the tongue to clear it up.

caringsonbj 22 Mar 2011

I think because of it being a 4 month old I would at least call the pediatricans office and ask the nurse to ask the doctor if this would be safe for me to use,
I am going to give you one of the websites where I did some checking healthline.com on this site you can enter the words gentian violet and it may give you some answers, but before using it just to be on the safe side just have the pediatricans office staff to ask him just to be on the safe side, I am sorry I haven't been of more help but I am interested in giving you the best possible advice