Can I get names of antimetabolite adenosine deaminase inhibitors?

Anonymous 21 Jul 2010

I AM NOT A DOCTOR/ONCOLOGIST NOR PRETEND TO BE ONE AT ALL.

I know you know this... but I also need to know in order to understand and be of some help to you.

The adenosine deaminase inhibitors deoxycoformycin and erythro-9-(2-hydroxy-3 nonyl) adenine (EHNA) induce single-strand DNA breaks in cultured human lymphocytes. Deoxycoformycin produced a significant number of strand breaks (4-fold increase compared to controls) and EHNA induced strand breaks in a dose-dependent manner. Strand breaks stimulate repair by poly (ADP-ribosylation) which requires NAD+ as a cofactor. Niacin is a precursor of NAD+ and when preincubated with human lymphocytes prior to exposure to adenosine deaminase inhibitors, strand breakage was reduced significantly. The administration of niacin may represent an approach to decreasing the toxicity associated with these agents.

Pentostatin (deoxycoformycin) is an anticancer chemotherapeutic drug.

Methotrexate (rINN), abbreviated MTX and formerly known as amethopterin, is an antimetabolite and antifolate drug used in treatment of cancer, autoimmune diseases and as an abortifacient in the induction of medical abortions.

An antimetabolite is a chemical that inhibits the use of a metabolite, which is another chemical that is part of normal metabolism. Such substances are often similar in structure to the metabolite that they interfere with, such as the antifolates that interfere with the use of folic acid. The presence of antimetabolites can have toxic effects on cells, such as halting cell growth and cell division, so these compounds are used as chemotherapy for cancer

Gemzar is an anti-cancer ("antineoplastic" or "cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug. Gemzar is classified as an antimetabolite

Cladribine is an anti-cancer ("antineoplastic" or "cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug. This medication is classified as an "antimetabolite."

I am sure there could be more( but as I said before I am not a doctor nor an oncologist... but this is all I am able do... thank you

Take care of yourself... I also suggest you contact your oncologist