Can I drink beer while taking coumadin and lovenox?

Anonymous 13 Apr 2010

I, as just a person who oes not drink. Would think that blood thinners
would not effect you UNLESS you drank a lot. I believe drinking will thicken the blood if drank in a large amount. I have read stories of drunk people found laying in very cold weather passed out and not dieing because of being drunk. Here is a warning though.

Important safety information:
Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Coumadin before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
Carry an ID card at all times that says you take Coumadin.
Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Contact your doctor right away if you may have taken too much of Coumadin.
Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Coumadin; it may increase the risk of Coumadin's side effects.
Please give me a point if this helps, thanks

nkelto 13 Apr 2010

I take coumadin and from personal experience, discovered alcohol does thin the blood. I drank a couple beers a few years ago one night and it threw my INR out of range. Everything I've read and been told says to avoid alcohol while on coumadin. Also avoid cranberries/cranberry juice. I am not familiar with lovenox.