Doctors NEVER seem to have enough time to answer your questions when you are in there for a 5 minute visit after waiting weeks to get in for the appointment and 2 hours of sitting in the waiting room, soooo frustrating!

I see the original surgeon today and I "think" I'm prepared with all of my questions but these reports are all foreign to me and I feel the doctor is going to say... "I can go back in to explore if you want me too"

HERE IS THE RESULT OF MY PRE-OP MRI...

5/17/11 MRI
Focal disc pathology especially in the lower lumbar spine with findings most prominent at L5-S1 where there is a focal left paracentral/foraminal disc protrusion posteriorly displacing and impinging the descending left S1 nerve root against the left facet, with additional abutment of the exiting left L5 nerve root by disc material. Minimal Grade 1 retrolisthesis of L3 on L4 which appears degenerative in etiology.

HAD A TRIPLE LAMINECTOMY AUG. 22, 2011
WHICH LEFT ME WITH MORE SEVERE LEFT BUTTOCKS AND LEFT LEG PAIN...
HERE IS THE RESULT OF MY POST-OP MRI...

10/3/11 MRI
Interval postoperative changes with decompression of the central spinal canal at L4-5 although the descending left L5 nerve root remains interposed between the disc protrusion at this level and the minimally hypertrophied left facet. Resolved mass effect on the descending left S1 nerve root at the L5-S1 level with minimal residual left paracentral/foraminal disc protrusion superiorly which continues to abut the descending nerve root, as does the medial left facet.

AFTER THIS MRI THE SURGEON BASICALLY SAID THE PAIN WAS IN MY HEAD AND THE SURGERY WAS NOT A FALIURE AND THAT THE PAIN WOULD GO AWAY SOON BECAUSE IT WAS SCAR TISSUE... SCAR TISSUE ONLY 5 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY???

I WENT FOR A SECOND OPPINION AND WAS SENT FOR A MYELOGRAM.

HERE IS THE RESULTS OF THE MYELOGRAM...

10/24/11 Myelogram
1. Posterior osteophyte/disc complex at L3/4 with spinal stenosis.
2. Prominent posterior disc protrusion/herniation at L4/L5. Moderate spinal stenosis is seen in this area on the post myelogram CT study.

AFTER THE MYELOGRAM I WAS TAKEN DOWN FOR A CT SCAN WHICH A LOT OF DYE INVADED THE MAIN AREA THEY WERE LOOKING AT.

HERE IS THE RESULTS OF THE CT SCAN...

10/24/11 CT Lumbar Spine
1. At L4-L5 level, there is prominent posterior protrusion/herniation of disc material, slightly greater towards the left. This results in moderate spinal stenosis.
2. There is borderline spinal stenosis at L3/L4 due to posterior osteophyte/disc complex.
3. Mild left foraminal stenosis at L5/S1, due to posterior lateral osteophyte.

THE SECOND OPINION SUGGESTED A SECOND SURGERY TO EXPLORE BUT SAID I MUST GO TO THE ORIGINAL SURGEON SINCE IT IS WITHIN A YEAR. MY APPOINTMENT IS TODAY (12/12/11) THE PAIN DOCTOR THOUGHT I SHOULD HAVE AN EMG BEFORE THIS APPOINTMENT.

HERE IS THE RESULTS OF THE EMG...

11/10/11 EMG
SUMMARY: The routine sensory nerve conduction studies are normal except L specific peroneal.
1. The routine motor nerve conduction studies are normal or demonstrate mild abnormalities (mainly reduced amplitude). The F waves are nonrecordable.
2. The needle EMG examination of muscles innervated by L4-S1, mainly Left L5 myotome (e.g. Peron Longes, TA, EHL, TFL, paraspinal) reveals "neurogenic findings" (fibrillations, positive sharp waves, enlarged motor unit potentials, reduced number of motor units at maximal effort).
CONCLUSION: The electrical findings are suggestive of Left L5-S1 polyradiculopathy, mainly Left L5.

WHEN I TRY TO TRANSLATE THESE TESTS IT APPEARS TO ME THAT I HAD PROBLEMS FROM L4-S1 AND THAT THE SURGEON MAY HAVE FIXED THE S1 PROBLEM BUT THAT THE L5 PROBLEM REMAINS???

IT IS ALSO PUZZLING THAT MY LEG HURTS 10 TIMES WORSE SINCE THE SURGERY WHICH I THINK IS WHY IS WAS SUGGESTED TO ME THAT THERE IS NERVE "DAMAGE" AND I JUST NEED TIME FOR THE NERVE TO HEAL.

IF GIVEN THE CHOICE TO GO BACK IN THERE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY BECAUSE I JUST DONT THINK I WILL BE GIVEN A STRAIGHT ANSWER AS TO WEATHER OR NOT THIS IS NERVE DAMAGE OR THE REMAINING DISC PROTRUSION AT L5 IS THE CAUSE OF THE PAIN. THE SECOND SURGEON ALSO MENTIONED THAT MAYBE A PIECE OF BONE CHIPPED OFF DURING SURGERY AND LODGED ITS WAY INTO THE NERVE???

I really need to go to medical school. I would greatly appreciate any opinions, suggestings, questions to ask the doctor etc...