Can a pregnant woman take Soma?

Anonymous 27 Aug 2010

Soma and Pregnancy Category C
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a pregnancy category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category C is given to medicines that have not been studied in pregnant humans but do appear to cause harm to the fetus in animal studies. Also, medicines that have not been studied in any pregnant women or animals are automatically given a pregnancy Category C rating.

Animal studies do not suggest that Soma increases the risk of birth defects. However, Soma caused other problems in the offspring when given to pregnant animals. These problems included:

Low fetal weight
Decreased weight gain after birth
Decreased survival after birth.

However, it is important to note that animals do not always respond to medicines the same way that humans do. Therefore, a pregnancy Category C medicine may be given to a pregnant woman if a Doctor believes that the benefits to the pregnant woman outweigh any possible risks to the unborn child.

Take care

Anonymous 28 Aug 2010

maso is very smart about meds! Just remember that anything you ingest, the baby ingests also. Soma is a muscle relaxer, the heart is a muscle. Do you want to relax baby's heart?
Perhaps a call to OB/GYN is in order.
best wishes,

Anonymous 28 Aug 2010

very good input sweetlemon.-

Bford111 21 Aug 2011

I think these are skeletal muscle relaxers. Not a dr, but don't think it affects heart function.

Anonymous 21 Aug 2011

Look Soma up... right here on, above, Drugs A to Z, I beg (politely please) to differ with thee on that aspect of Soma, it so does affect one's heart!!!
Best wishes to you bford! I mean no offense here, just don't want any woman that is preggers to take something that would harm a fetus!!!

Bford111 22 Aug 2011

I was allowed to take a muscle relaxer during pregnancy when my back pain was severe - it may have been Flexiril though. Just talk to your doctor - they tend to be less judgemental than blogs will be from people who don't really know what the risks are. Again, I'm not a doctor, but I did look up some of the studies they based the "C" categorization for muscle relaxers on and I don't think that the potential "increased heart rate" side effect is the potential problem this particular drug poses to your pregnancy.

I understand people mean well with their responses, but its not healthy to have hypertension from excessive pain or to be sleep deprived due to discomfort while pregnant, so there is a point at which the benefits of taking a sleep aid or a muscle relaxer outweigh the risks.

I'm just tired of blogs where people tell expectant mothers that their best bet is to suck it up regardless of the situation they are in.

Anonymous 22 Aug 2011

If you are tired of blogs, why are ye on this one?

Bford111 24 Aug 2011

Was looking for actual medical knowledge on the site and just happened onto it.