What does campral do and how does it work?

masso 30 Aug 2014

Campral is used in the treatment of alcohol dependence and belongs to the drug class drugs used in alcohol dependence.

"Campral (acamprosate) affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced in a person who is addicted to alcohol. Acamprosate works by restoring this chemical balance in the brain in an alcohol-dependent person who has recently quit drinking."

https://www.drugs.com/campral.html

Stephen Treloar 1 Sep 2014

I'll just ad from personal experience that if you continue to drink it is completely pointless because it doesn't help you to want to quit. That part you have to do yourself.

blaki 13 Dec 2014

After 7-10 days of mild abdominal cramp, diarrhoea and generally feeling crap (I say 'mild' compared o the after effects of a vodka binge.) I haven't wanted a drink for a month now. On top of that the underlying anxiety I had drunk or sober is gone.