Will Caltrate cure or improve osteoporosis please?

Anonymous 28 Dec 2012

There are no known cures for osteoporosis. Caltrate which is calcium
carbonate can help.

Please click on the links for important information:

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/caltrate.html

Prevention of Osteoporosis

Calcium is essential for building and maintaining healthy bone. Vitamin D is also needed because it helps your body absorb calcium. Following a healthy, well-balanced diet can help you get these and other important nutrients throughout life.

Other tips for prevention:

Avoid drinking excess alcohol
Don't smoke
Get regular exercise

https://www.drugs.com/enc/osteoporosis.html

Take care,

masso.-

Anonymous 28 Dec 2012

Hello Ephrem, & welcome to the site. If you already have osteopororsis, it is important to take extra calcium & vitamin D3 (plus magnesium & zinc) to try to help maintain your bone density. There are many drugs out there to help with that process sucn as Actonel, miacalcin, Boniva, Reclast & last, but not least Forteo which actually rebuilds new bone. The others just keep the bone from further damage or thinning. I have this very seriuously, & am about to finish my 26 month treatment with Forteo shots you give yourself at home. At 12 months, a new DEXA scan showed much improvment in my bone density. I still am on extra calcium & vitamin D3 to help with the Forteo in formation of new bone. I highly reccomend the Forteo as the others taken for years, did not help me & I continued to have many fractures. I highly reccomend Forteo along with calcium and vitamin D3. I have only had one new spinal fracture early on in treatment. It's my understanding that after the Forteo treatment, I will have a 6 month rest from meds for this, & then continue with the Actonel. You must be on a certain scale with your DEXA scan to start the Forteo shots as it is quite expensive, & insurance usually won't pay for it until you reach that number. Take good care of your bones. They are the only ones you have. Good luck & best wishes...