Buspirone - is this stronger than alprazolam?

LaurieShay 26 Feb 2013

They are two completely different type medications used to treat anxiety so they are not truly comparable. Alprazolam treats anxiety but is very addictive while buspirone is not.

elilopez 26 Feb 2013

Thank u. I've been on the xanax 1mg three times daily and wondering if there is a viable replacement

LaurieShay 26 Feb 2013

Buspirone (BuSpar) is an alternative. Just remember you can not abruptly stop the Xanax, but must taper off to prevent serious side effects

elilopez 26 Feb 2013

No i was not aware of any serious side effects. could u elaborate? Sorry don't mean to be a bother

LaurieShay 26 Feb 2013

You are not a bother at all. Glad to help. A medication such as Xanax must be slowly tapered to prevent withdrawals the most serious of which can be a seizure.

elilopez 26 Feb 2013

Thank you so mich for helping.a stranger! I think I definately came to the correct place! Thanks soo much, u just stopped me from making a big mistake! You guys/gals rock!

kaismama 26 Feb 2013

Buspirone is also taken differently. You take it everyday, to prevent anxiety, not just when you're anxious.

elilopez 26 Feb 2013

Same to you. thank you guys/gals for your time and responses. But I have severe anxiety that I treat three times day with 1mg xanax, and was wondering if.there are better ways available to deal with this embarassing cond! Thank you