Is Buspar ever used in the treatment of dementia?

masso 4 Sep 2016

BuSpar is used in the treatment of sexual dysfunction, ssri induced; anxiety; panic disorder and belongs to the drug class miscellaneous anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics.

https://www.drugs.com/buspar.html

Buck2504 4 Sep 2016

I know what Buspar is usually used for but I was wondering whether there was an off label use for it for dementia. I have a friend that was prescribed it for that reason.

G mc 4 Sep 2016

Masso,
I thought buspar was one of the medications when used long-term, could contribute to dementia, so why would a doctor prescribe it to treat dementia?
-Confusing-
Also, does long-term use cause unwanted side effects down the line in later life? In other words, how long of a time to use it, is it safe ?
When stopped, won't the anxiety, dementia, or whatever it is being used to treat, won't these conditions return immediately upon cessation of the medication, since it is not a cure-all? It only treats the symptoms, doesn't cure a condition?

masso 5 Sep 2016

It does treat the symptoms, as you say it does cure for example; seroquel treats schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and off label insomnia, as soon as you stop taking it, your symptoms will re-appear as it treats the symptoms, there is no cure for these conditions.

Meds for dementia:

https://www.drugs.com/condition/dementia.html

https://www.drugs.com/pro/buspirone.html

regards, masso.

Buck2504 5 Sep 2016

Thanks masso. That was very interesting reading. It gave me a lot to think about. She just started the med. It will interesting to see if it really does help her.
Buck2504

masso 5 Sep 2016

You are welcome.

Clinically Significant or Otherwise Common Off-Label Uses of BuSpar (buspirone)
* PTSD
Other anxiety disorders
Smoking cessation
Depression, along with other meds (adjunctive therapy)
Usually with SSRIs and SNRIs.
Either for treatment-resistant depression or to deal with certain side effects, such as:
SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction
Teeth grinding / jaw clenching (bruxism)
SSRI poop-out (tachyphylaxis)

Buck2504 5 Sep 2016

Masso,
She is dealing with a lot of those symptoms too along with her dementia. Some because she has to deal with the diagnosis of dementia. The worst part to her is losing her memory which nothing can help that.
Buck2504

G mc 5 Sep 2016

Masso, how effective is buspar long-term? Will it cause more problems than it helps if taken for example, for years? Or is it designed for short-term use? I couldn't find the answers yet in my research.

G mc 5 Sep 2016

I guess I am asking this: Is buspar safe to take long-term, as antidepressants are safe to take long-term, for years effectively?

masso 5 Sep 2016

I believe Buspar in the long term will cause short memory loss.

G mc 5 Sep 2016

Thank you. Could you tell me what length of time would be considered long term, to the point of causing short term memory loss? Even at low doses, such as 5mg only once or twice a day?

Buck2504 5 Sep 2016

Masso,
Should I be worried about my friend? She already has problems with her short term memory. Will BuPar make it worse?
Buck2504